Friday, April 17, 2015

A Prison of Yellow.


And so the summer began
I knew that something wasn't right.
This house John put us in
Will be my stress and fright.

And though the house is lovely-
There is a beautiful garden out back.
It still seems queer to me
And I'm worried I might snap.

John makes me angry sometimes,
He's robbed me of my work.
This room he's put me in
Is a hideous yellow for sure.

The room itself isn't bad,
It's big and airy and free-
But that horrid yellow wallpaper
Is what's standing out to me.

The paper is driving me mad-
With its taunting and hideous design
But I have no choice but to stay here
And I cry most of the time.

I study and study the paper
How it dwells so in my mind.
Perhaps it makes me fonder
Challenging principle of design.

As I stare and stare at the paper
I find something new each time.
From bulbous eyes to broken necks
To a woman that's trapped behind.

I believe I'm getting better-
I have things to look forward to.
And I believe it's cause of the wallpaper
That I am really pulling through.

As I watch the woman in the paper,
She creeps and creeps so fast.
She comes out during the daytime
But at night she goes right back.

I've decided to help the woman-
We will tear the paper apart.
And no one will do it but me
Though it may break johns heart.

The woman in the paper was me,
And I refuse to be put back.
John is at the door now
But I will creep along the track.

My shoulder fits perfectly
Along the smooch in the wall.
It's perfect for my creeping
While John knocks and pounds and calls.

"The key is by the front steps" I tell him-
And he gets desperate as he yells
"Let me in my darling!"
But I can't and he can't tell.

He decides to get the key
And is stunned as he breaks in
"For gods sake what are you doing?"
Horrified as if I was sin.

Now why should he have fainted?
I'm out and I don't mind
He fainted where I'm creeping
So I had to creep over him each time!

4 comments:

  1. This is definitely interesting a poetic version of the story. So far I don't see anything wrong with it. Keep going with the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is good, really really good. Great poem

    ReplyDelete
  3. :) Yes, it shows a very good reading of the story, and some wonderful work with language. Nice job Kayleigh!

    ReplyDelete
  4. very easy to read. its a darker turn on the story without it being a hooror story. thats for me anyway

    ReplyDelete