Saturday, April 18, 2015

Jason By Conner

Jason
Scene 1
(Jason enters, Creon turns towards Jason. Jason says to him with joy)
Jason: Creon I understand you wanted to see me, you have good news for me?
Creon: My boy I had sent for you because I have chosen you to marry my daughter. I have decided that since you have saved our land, brought us the Golden Fleece and have such a loving reputation that you are perfect for my daughter.
Jason: Wow! (He exclaimed) I’m very honored. Unfortunately, I must decline your ever so generous offer.
Creon: You turn down my daughter?! How could you? Is this because of the barbarian you brought back with you from your recent travels?
Jason: That “barbarian” happens to be the mother of my two young boys. She has given a lot for myself and our land. Her name is Medea and I don’t plan to turn on her.
Creon: That is quite noble of you. You would marry into fortune and power. Your name could be loud enough to be heard in many lands; if you marry her.
Jason: Creon you have a very lovely daughter and your promises of fame and fortune are tempting, but I cannot and will not betray her love!
Creon: Unfortunate… you said you have two boys, right? You must love them just as much as that barbarian wife of yours?
Jason: Of course, sir. They are my flesh and blood. I would do anything for them to make them as well as Medea happy. I will not betray them by marrying your daughter!
Creon: (Sighs) Well it seems you left me no choice; if you don’t marry my daughter your family will be vanquished.
Jason: You threaten my family?! How can a king do such? (Sighs and in a dreary, defeated voice) Alright as you wish my king. (Bows) Just please leave my family out of this.
Creon: Sure, but you can’t tell a soul of these conditions. You are to tell your wife you are leaving her for the better of your family and that is all.
Jason: Medea, my love, I’m sorry for what is about to happen. Please forgive me.
(Creon turns and walks away from Jason. Jason gets   up and walks out of the palace. When alone he drops to his knees and weeps for the transgressions he must commit to protect his family)
Scene 2
(Jason returns home to tell his family about his new marriage.)
(Jason enters)
Medea: Jason you have returned my love what is it the king wanted with you?
Jason: (looks up at Medea) Creon summoned me to give me his daughters hand in marriage. (Medea gasps in awe) I said yes to him.
Medea: You treacherous snake, how could you do this to our family? After all I have done for you, all I’ve given up?
Jason: My wife I do this for our family. Our family will prosper.
Medea: How is that? Leaving us for the gods to smite us as they please.
Jason: My love, I can tell you that our fame and fortune will grow as I marry into royalty. That is all I can say.
Medea: How is that the situation? How will you abandoning us make our lives easier?
Jason: I said all I can. Please let’s move on, forgive me.
Medea: Forgive you?! Never how can you ask me to do that, I can’t.
Jason: I must go now. I’m sorry but it’s for the best.
Medea: If you turn and walk out that door not even Hades will accept the three of you in his realm.
(Jason turns and walks out.)
Jason: (To himself) Gods have mercy on us, please. I should tell Creon what happened, she was quite upset.

Scene 3
(Sun Starting to set.)
(Jason enter the palace and demands to speak to King Creon. He enters and says.)
Creon: What is it you want at this hour?
Jason: I came here to tell you that I spoke to Medea and told her and the kids what is going to happen without breaking our agreement, she didn’t take it well at all.
Creon: (Sarcastically) Well that’s unfortunate. It seems as though she cannot be trusted and will be banished along with the kids to protect us.
Jason: No! Sire she won’t harm us. Please she means no harm.
Creon: I can’t take that chance. She has knowledge of   dark arts.
Jason: But my king, I must protest, she…. I…… love her. The kids they can’t just leave.
Creon: We shall see!
(Creon turns and storms out with guards.)
(After 30 minutes of considering what to do Jason tries to get to Medea before Creon,)

Scene 4
(Jason reaches Creon as he is returning from his meeting with Creon.)
Jason: I’m glad I caught up with you before you reached Medea. I want to say…
Creon: (Interrupting Jason) I don’t care to hear what you have to say. We have banished her and your children. (Jason attempts to speak) As I said I don’t care to hear you speak! I gave her and your kids a day to get out of here, be grateful. (Creon walks off with his guards. Jason turns towards his home and goes towards it to try and help Medea and the children.)
(Jason enters the home, walking up to Medea. Medea continues what she is making and says…)
Medea: I see the venomous viper has decided to show itself in his old home. Have you come to see us off?
Jason: I came to help and tell you I tried to talk to Creon. He just…
Medea: (Interrupts) I know I know you said you are trying to help, (sarcastically) you are quite the gifted speaker.
Jason: I don’t understand why you won’t believe that I am trying to help.
Medea: It is because I know what he has said is more than kind words to you, which when spoken to you distracts you from your priorities. I know how much you like to hear your name.
Jason: (Angrily) Fine if that is how you feel about my manhood then yes I am leaving you on my own free will.
Medea: (Finishes her task and turns towards Jason.) Finally, he knows how to speak the truth. Well, seeing as how I am not going to be bitter any further; I have made a gift for your loving wife. The kids will bring it shortly while I prepare further for our departure.
Jason: (Shocked) Really?  Well, thank you for understanding. I am really doing this for us, I should be going now.

The End

3 comments:

  1. Well, you are much kinder to Jason than Euripides is, and you make Creon the meany. You should look at "Diary of Jason" - it does a similar thing. I do think there are two things you could do to make this even stronger than it is:
    1. Divide it into clearer scenes -- it will make it more readable.
    2. finish it. This feels undone

    I feel, too, like Jason has to act a bit like an ass with his wife -- he's backed against a wall between two strong forces, and Jason would be a bit more macho, based on the character in the play. Could he be a bit more of a jerk with Medea? He is in the play. The interesting piece of a perspective like you're taking is that it gives us a different insight into why the character does what he does.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did very well at making me see the play differently

    ReplyDelete
  3. This Jason is a bit too nice. The one in the play is more of a jerk due to the ideas of a macho guy in those times. It's nice though.

    ReplyDelete