I
I have done terrible things. Terrible things out of greed. Things that no man should do, but I have no way to repent the things I’ve done. I live here in Corinth with my wife out of fear. Fear that we will be found and we will pay for my crimes. My Medea, my beautiful wife which I have brought back from Colchis, you are why we are here; you helped me commit these crimes and why we can never go back, but it is fine. I am here for you.
II
My wife has given me a second son. Praise the heavens, this is more than i could ever ask for. Medea you have outdone yourself. You are more than words can describe. You have given me everything and I, have given nothing. I must repay you for this beautiful family. A man such as I, who has committed such horrible crimes should not live such a happy life. I will be here for you, I will give our family everything I can.
III
Today I spoke with King Creon. Our family is no longer welcome here. I begged and I pleaded for our family to stay, we have caused no harm, but he will not let us stay.
But then I saw her, the daughter of the king, she had no man to marry for there were none worthy of her hand.. Then I proposed to creon, that if I must, I would marry the princess so that my family could have all their desires. Though I would not be there, I'm sure they would rather have a nicer and even a better home away from Corinth. I am Jason, the leader of the Agronauts, who has retrieved the Golden Fleece from Colchis. I am more than well suited to become a part of their royal family. I am sorry my dearest Medea, but I must. For the sake of our family I must take upon this offer.
IV
You must understand, with exile brings with it all sorts of hardships. Although you may well despise me now, I could never have bad feelings for you, Medea. By marrying the king's daughter our family will flourish, our sons will long and happy lives and you will never have another worry in the world. I will send my wishes with lots of money to keep you happy. You are still my wife, I will take care of you even if i won't be there personally.
V
Today I have spent my time out with the king's daughter. She is kind, and her hair so soft. She often reminds me of my Medea, in a softer, more feminine way. I wonder how Medea will be once the wedding begins. I wonder if she will come, if she will support me in the way I wish to support her.
This girl, the princess, does she know? Does she know that I'm marrying for her money? Would she be upset if she knew? I'm am unsure. I will take my time with her today, Medea needs time to calm herself and collect her thoughts. There is no room for anger now, I should enjoy myself her now while I can, for who knows what will happen while away from home.
VI
Today is the wedding, the day I must say my farewells to Medea, but she seems to be happy, she even has given me a gift to give to my new wife. Maybe she has come to her ways and has realized that this is all for her.
VII
I was wrong, I have never been so wrong ever in my life, Medea has done nothing out of kindness. Her gifts have killed the King and his daughter on the day of my wedding. She has stolen my sons, to never let me see or touch them again. Their lives taken at such a young age. Medea, you cannot be forgiven for what you have done, you've ruined our family out of rage.
What am I to do, without my family, I am nothing. There is nothing left for me.
VIII
Medea, I can never understand why you have done the things you've done. my life means nothing without you here. I had only wanted the best for you and our sons. I can't believe that a mother would murder her children out of spite. How I miss those boys, to see their young faces and to play the way boys do. I will miss them greatly.
IX
I saw them today, Medea, our boys are still cheerful and happy as they always were. As I lay here in bed, I can't help but to think of where you are and what you're doing. Our children need their parents, you must come home, Medea, for our boys.
X
What was once our home, is now empty. I can hear her voice, speaking to me, telling me to make sure they kids have eaten. I have to get up, I have to take care of our family, but Medea, I cannot move. I haven't left this dark space since you came home, i cannot sleep nor think of what will become with me. I wish to see you, why won't you come near, Medea, you're wonderful. My life has been yours, so why don't we go to bed?
i really enjoyed reading the story from Jason's perspective, you did an great job of retelling the story but also making it very much your own. I really like how you wrote Jason as well, you really humanized him with the reasoning behind why he did the things he did.
ReplyDeletei really enjoyed reading the story from Jason's perspective, you did an great job of retelling the story but also making it very much your own. I really like how you wrote Jason as well, you really humanized him with the reasoning behind why he did the things he did.
ReplyDeleteI was happy to see someone write through Jason's perspective of this story. Like Shannon said, I enjoyed seeing the reasoning behind Jason's actions. And the fact that you included their history as a couple helped tie it all together. I was slightly confused if the children lived in this story or not but regardless I liked how Jason was the one wanting the family to be together which we werent able to see in the original story but you made it so we could understand that he was just putting on an act to benefit his family.
ReplyDeleteYes, this is a great change of perspective, Samantha. And it is a bit of a combination of Medea and Madman's Diary! Two things: 1. I agree with Kristin -- it's unclear if the boys are alive or dead. Could you clarify that? 2. Please proofread! You have some great writing, and careful reading going on here, but there are some language errors. Can you correct them please?
ReplyDeletep.s. - I hope you don't mind I've shrunk the text. I decided to use this in class, so I needed the text to be smaller. We can talk about the size in class -- you can do it larger, of course, if that's how you would like it.
DeleteThank you. It was meant to stay normal size for text, but it may have changed because i used my tablet to post it originally.
Deletegreat story i like the inter text
ReplyDeleteThis was a good read, Enjoyed it,
ReplyDelete