Friday, April 17, 2015

Fallon Harrigan - Flesh Fire

I, Fallon Harrigan, have not been able to sleep for days and days. I have nightmares in my head from morning to night. I also can’t sleep because of all the men wanting to hurt me. They are everywhere. They lure past my bedroom door, waiting for me to stop making noises, because they think that is the prime time to attack me. They think I will be easiest to control then. I just don’t understand why all the men want to set me aflame. What’s worse that that, woman act like they don’t see the lures. They go to work, they go to the supermarket, and they go to church and just ignore the stares. Men everywhere stare not only at me but at them too, but no one cares except for me and a few other women.  They just let men attack them and set them to fire and kill them. When their soul rises from their body, the other women carefully grab it and contain it in a jar. They then, when they are alone from the men, cry. They cry that men are doing this, but yet they don’t stop.

The worst type of these flesh-burning men are the ones who prey. For some men, it isn’t enough to burn and kill women. No instead they have to make a game out of it. What do they do you ask? They meet a new girl, and they surprise this girl by saying that they won't set them on fire. They explain to the woman that they aren’t like the other flame starting guys. That they don’t agree with the practice and they don’t think it is fair that guys do that to girls. They go on and on for days at a time, going out of their way to convince a girl that they are different, and that the girl is safe with them. And then, the girl finally lets down her guard. She finally lets the guy come into her life and you know what happens? The minute the girl turns her head for a second, she gets sprayed with gasoline and torched by this guy. Yeah the same guy that proclaimed he was different. Why do guys do this you ask? I wish I had the answer, but sadly I don’t. Sadly I just have to hide from every man, because deep down inside, they are all the same.

            Then there are women who understand the problem, and want it to stop, because they realize it isn’t justified, and everyone acts like they are crazy for standing up against the normal. However, I think, all women wish they could be as strong as the women who stand up against the flamethrowers. Regardless, the men fear these women, because they are the only ones who carry the buckets of water. They are the ones who are able to stop the fires. Sadly, there are too little of woman with the water. There aren’t enough women to put out the fire.


            Why, you ask. You ask why the women don’t stand up against the fire starters and pick up a water bucket? Because they don’t want to look lame? They all play this game. They all want to see how long they can go before they will be set on fire.  They all want to be viewed as the cool girl, who isn’t intimidated by a little fire. It is sad. I only hope one day it will end.

2 comments:

  1. I'm not going to say too much right now, Fallon. I really want to read your peers' comments. But I will say I like this. I like it very very much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can I just say WOAH?!This story was short but packed an intense punch, I really enjoyed reading it. The only thing is though upon the first read (and this may be just me) but I failed to make the connection to "Diary of a Madman", Which I guess could be good or bad depending on how the professor views it, but I find that it shows your story is a very strong one that is able to stand alone. I really like how the very first couple of sentences set the tone for the rest of the story. Overall such a great job on this

    ReplyDelete